Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The wonders of mod podge

I had a great night where I was inspired and created something cool. Granted, I am sure someone on this planet has already thought of it but it was new to me. Mason jars, wood candle sticks, mod podge and....tada! mica powder. Well, I thought of placing a mason jar atop a candle stick and I painted the candle stick red, then put a crackle medium over it, then painted it blue to create a antique finish. Then I glued on the mason jar and first, painted the inside blue. I didn't like it. I washed it out. Then I thought, hmmmm. I saw mason jars that had mod podge with food coloring. So I concocted a little mixture of mod podge, watercolor paint (the kind that comes in liquid form) for a blue hue, and I added gold mica. The stuff you make soap and lotion with as it mixes well with viscous material. Not sure how mica that is intended for painting would do, as I have a ton of colors but something about this mica for soap is the most wonderful magical crap to play with. So it created a nice blue and gold "paint" and I painted the inside of the glass. It wasn't pretty at first, but then what was left behind was this sparkly sorta hint of blue film that was actually really cool. I took a picture, but I am not the greatest photo taker and it doesn't look that amazing in the picture. It's the idea though. next time, I may forgo the color and just use mica and mod podge. Can't go wrong. I was so excited that I painted a wood plaque to see what it would do, and it stained it a glossy green color with sparkle. Not only is mod podge great for decoupage, but it makes an amazing sealer for wood and clay without the stickiness. I literally was looking all over the house for something to cover with it. You can always make a bunch of batches of mod podge in different colors and mica powders and store it for later use in a baby food jar. Anyway, It doesn't look like much, but it sparkles with a candle and don't forget it's non flammable. So, rock on!


My concoction made this piece of wood that was a normal light naked wood turned to this. I thought it was pretty cool and inspired a fairy piece just for fun. All this is just thrift store finds. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow me on Instagram!

http://instagram.com/toastedpixie

Blog Archive