Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Halloween spooky jars


Say hello to my Halloween spooky jars. They are kind of silly, but a lot of fun to make. This can be considered another "trash to treasure" project that can have some pretty cool results.

I got here, a few Ball jars at hobby lobby. You could use any food jars you might normally throw away. Even an old bottle from goodwill.


What makes this different than other jar crafty projects is that I used alcohol ink.
 So, a while ago I got suckered into buying a bunch of inks thinking I could use them for a ton of projects. Um, no. I really can't. SO they have been sitting there staring at me, saying use me... use me.  I took a bottle, and squeezed in some red and let it drip down inside the bottle. Then added more until I got a streaky drippy effect. Added purple and let it do it's thing. I got another jar and added in more colors and ended up with these concoctions. (alcohol ink is kind of scary to use, especially if you have nice clothes and good carpet or a manicure.) Don't let kids use it...just FYI.

Anyway, after I let them air dry over night, I thought the glass was too shiny. So I mod podged (is that a word?) not really. I painted the glass with a mixture of mod podge and a tiny amount of pearl ex pigments  in in micropearl to give the glass a sparkly yet more matte sheen to add to the "spooky" factor. Yet another ingredient that is fun yet potentially dangerous (use caution). However you could use really fine glitter and or baby powder to achieve the same thing.






I used Martha Stewart Brand stickers to place on the bottle. They were too big so I cut them to fit. I also had to wrestle with them, but hey it's Martha Stewart who cares about the sticky factor, as long as it looks nice right?
I added a bit of raffia and ribbon and tulle at the top for a cute little addition. I just used a really sharp craftknife to cut off the excess.


I left it like this, but you could go further and add doll parts or something to make it look "jarred". I just realized I used very scary materials to do this tutorial. Oh well, it's almost Halloween and what's a little crazy scary night in the craft room? It's freakin' awesome!

Note: I inked the inside. You could just as easily ink the outside and use felt pad to swirl or whatever method you choose. Wait until it's dry, according to instructions and you could make a very interesting yet beautiful candle jar.

Lily, my dog wanted to be a part of this as you can see. She hopes you like this little tutorial and wished you a very happy Fall and magnificent Halloween!

Bye Bye!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow me on Instagram!

http://instagram.com/toastedpixie

Blog Archive