Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Face-up a doll. My experience so far.

I am a YouTube junkie. I have used it for learning how to change the light bulbs in my car to learning new painting techniques. My favorite thing at the moment is watching "Face Ups". An art form that has me glued to the computer. Basically, it's changing the face of a doll into something entirely different.

It's not as easy as it seems. Wiping the face and applying new paint is not all what you imagine. I learn best by following along. So, I bought a monster high doll from Walmart. I tried to remove the makeup with my nail polish remover. It was nearly impossible. I just ended up with a smeared mess. I got pure acetone and in seconds it was gone. However you cannot use Acetone on the body of a doll because it's a different material. The doll heads are a resin and can withstand the harshness of acetone. the body is plastic and starts to melt at the slightest touch of acetone. So I had to tape up the doll tight to avoid ruining the body.


The Monster High Dolls are greatly painted with serious makeup. Underneath it all, it's a beautiful face in no need of such harsh lines and garish designs.

I can't say that I succeeded. I managed to get a face on her that I liked however it was exceptionally difficult to draw on the face even after I sprayed a matte sealant. In these videos, there is specific paints and sealants they use which are apparently Japanese. You can buy them online. the ones I had were claiming to be matte and somehow I ended up with a dewy finish.

Like many of the artists, I tried using watercolor pencils. For me, they didn't work. I believe it was the sealant's fault. I used pastel pencils very carefully and it they worked. Also, brush on pastels and very fine brushes for detail work. Through this I learned about Gouache paints and how the artists use them. I am understanding the benefits, however I am still lost on my such a medium would be used on a doll. again I think it comes down to sealants.

I didn't change the hair like some of these other artists. I did change the dress into something I sewed together however I am not happy with it and won't bother keeping it on her. Funnily enough, the monster high dolls are so skinny that sewing a dress on them is hilariously impossible for me. I had an inch to work with.

I am not sure I will sell it. I may wipe her face and try again if I find a sealant worth using. So far, nothing I have works like I want it to.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow me on Instagram!

http://instagram.com/toastedpixie

Blog Archive